Lab-Aids™ Genes, Mutations, Evolution & Sickle Cell (Developed by SEPUP)
Follow the inheritance of a hemoglobin mutation through generations with the Lab-Aids™ Genes, Mutations, Evolution, and Sickle Cell science kit.
Manufacturer: Lab-Aids™ 902S
- In Part 1, students follow the inheritance of a hemoglobin mutation through two generations. Students identify patterns in their data and investigate the cause-and-effect relationship between environmental conditions and the frequency of a trait in a population. Based on their data collection and analysis, students construct explanations for how changes to a gene influence an organism’s ability to survive and reproduce.
- Specifically, students use the example of hemoglobin to explain how structural changes to genes (i.e., mutations), lead to changes in protein structure and function, and how this can lead to changes in the function of red blood cells which, in turn, can affect survival of individuals with the mutation.
- In Part 2, students use a computer simulation to extend their investigation of the hemoglobin mutation. Initially, the simulation extends their data from the previous activity through 30 generations. Then students are able to adjust the environmental conditions to see how access to resources and the prevalence of malaria influence the distribution of the hemoglobin gene over time. Part 2 requires students to have access to computers with internet access. Part 2 works best when students work in pairs.
- Accommodates unlimited classes, each with 8 groups of 4 students.
- Performance Expectations: MS-LS3-1, MS-LS4-6, MS-LS4-4
- Disciplinary Core Ideas: MS-LS3.A, MS-LS3.B, MS-LS4.C, MS-LS4.B
- Crosscutting Concepts: Structure and Function, Cause and Effect, Patterns
- Common Core State Standards – Mathematics: 6.RP.A.1, 6.SP.B.5
- Common Core State Standards – ELA/Literacty: SL.8.1, SL.8.4
- Includes: 32 First Generation profile cards, 32 First Generation Survivor profile cards, 34 Hemoglobin plastic disks (16 HH typical, 16 Hh sickle cell carrier, and hh sickle cell anemic), 32 Student Worksheet and Guides, 1 Teacher's Guide
|5 to 8|
|11 to 16|
We continue to work to improve your shopping experience and your feedback regarding this content is very important to us. Please use the form below to provide feedback related to the content on this product.
Your feedback has been submitted. Fisher Scientific is always working to improve our content for you. We appreciate your feedback.Ok