Lab-Aids Investigating the Design & Output of Wet Cell Batteries
Introduces students to the concept of energy conversion. Lab-Aids Investigating the Design & Output of Wet Cell Batteries has students investigate a simple electrochemical cell connected to an electric motor.
Manufacturer: Lab-Aids 205S
DescriptionElectrochemical cells are the basis for batteries and contain metals and other chemicals with stored chemical potential energy. Students design and conduct an experiment that uses a unique Lab-Aids Wet Cell Chamber to determine which combination of different metals works best to convert the potential chemical energy into electric energy. Their results allow them to rank the metals tested in order of reactivity. They also investigate how the distance, the direction of current flow, and the amount of metal surface area impact the electrical output of the wet cell.
- Maximum 24 students/6 groups
- 1-2 50 minute class periods
- Student guides incorporate literacy skills
- Chemicals contain stored energy that can be released during a reaction
- Batteries, or electrochemical cells, transform chemical potential energy into electric energy
- Students design and conduct a scientific investigation
- Students use appropriate tools and techniques to gather analyze, and interpret data
- Students use evidence to develop descriptions, explanations, predictions and models
|24 students/6 groups|
|Teacher's guide with MSDS; 28 student worksheets and guides; 30 table salt; 12 strips each: copper, iron, magnesium, zinc; 6 electric motors; 6 Wet Cell Chambers (SEPUP); 6 black wire leads with alligator clips; 6 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution, 30mL dropper bottles; 6 graduated cups, 30mL; 6 plastic cups, 270mL; 6 sandpaper, small pieces; 6 red wire leads with alligator clips; 6 plastic spoons; Transparency: Sample Procedure and Data Table for Part B; Transparency: Metals Activity Chart|
|Kit: Wet Cell Batteries|
We continue to work to improve your shopping experience and your feedback regarding this content is very important to us. Please use the form below to provide feedback related to the content on this product.
Your feedback has been submitted. Fisher Scientific is always working to improve our content for you. We appreciate your feedback.Ok