Each kit uses the pCR™ 2.1-TOPOTA vector with convenient restriction sites for subcloning. The cloning kits are available with a variety of competent cells (available separately) or without competent cells, depending upon your needs and budget. Resistant to Kanamycin (KanR) and Zeocin™ (ZeoR).
pCR™ 2.1-TOPO; TA vector: cloning and subcloning simplicity
The pCR 2.1-TOPO TA vector is linearized with 3'-thymidine (T) overhangs for direct ligation of Taq polymerase–amplified PCR products (TA cloning) and is “activated” with covalently bound Topoisomerase I. There is no need to add ligase and cloning is complete in 5 minutes. EcoRI sites flanking the PCR product insertion site allow for easy excision of inserts or use any combination of 15 convenient restriction sites flanking your PCR insert for easy, directional subcloning.
pCR 2.1-TOPO TA clone selection and manipulation
The pCR 2.1-TOPO TA vector contains both ampicillin and kanamycin resistance markers and the LacZα gene for blue/white screening.
Simplified TOPO -based cloning
Using TOPO cloning technology, there is no need for PCR primers containing specific sequences, post-PCR procedures, vector preparation, or other time-intensive DNA manipulation steps. Just add your PCR reaction straight to the provided topoisomerase-charged vector, incubate 5 minutes, and transform E. coli competent cells.
With up to 95% of clones carrying the desired insert, you can screen less clones, saving time and money. The pCR 2.1-TOPO TA vector used in this kit comes with 3'-T overhangs for efficient ligation of Taq polymerase–amplified PCR products, which contain 3'-A overhangs.
The standard in cloning
When it comes to cloning, TOPO cloning technology has been a reliable partner for thousands of scientists for over ten years. Fast, simple-to-use, and efficient, TOPO cloning has been applied to many different vectors for a wide array of applications.
TOPO TA Cloning Kits for Subcloning: kit options
The TOPO TA Cloning Kit for Sequencing can be purchased with a variety of competent cells that deliver different advantages depending upon your needs:
- General cloning: TOP10 cells (Cat. No. K4500-01, K4500-40)
- High-efficiency cloning: TOP10 Electrocomp™ Cells (Cat. No. K4560-01, K4560-40)
- General cloning, bacteriophage T1 resistance: DH5α-T1R cells (Cat. No. K4520-01, K4520-40)
- Fast growth: Mach1™ -T1R Chemically Competent E. Coli (Cat. No. K4510-20)
- Provide your own: for flexibility and to save money (Cat. No. 450641)
- Fast and easy: go from PCR to clones in just three steps and in as little as 5 minutes hands-on time
- Efficient: obtain up to 95% clones with correct insert
- Proven: reliable performance for over a decade with over 4,000 citations
- Simple: no ligase, post-PCR procedures, or PCR primers containing specific sequences are required
- Vector: pCR 2.1-TOPO TA vector: subcloning vector with 15 convenient restriction sites flanking your insert for easy, directional subcloning
- Cloning method: TOPO TA Cloning: Topoisomerase I–based, 5-minute ligation of PCR products with 3′-A overhangs (Taq polymerase amplified) to TOPO vector with T overhangs
- Competent cells: various options: choose from kits with either general, high-efficiency, bacteriophage T1–resistant, fast-growing competent cells (available separately) or use your own
Cloning, PCR Cloning
Safety and Handling
The Fisher Scientific Encompass Program offers items which are not part of our distribution portfolio. These products typically do not have pictures or detailed descriptions. However, we are committed to improving your shopping experience. Please use the form below to provide feedback related to the content on this product.