MP Biomedicals™ 2-Mercaptoethanol, Electrophoresis Grade
2-Mercaptoethanol, Electrophoresis Grade reduces disulfide linkages in solubilizing proteins for gel electrophoresis.
Supplier: MP Biomedicals™ 04806443
- 2-Mercaptoethanol is used to reduce disulfide linkages in solubilizing proteins for gel electrophoresis (typically used in SDS-PAGE sample buffer at 5% concentration).
- Also reduces excess oxidative polymerization of catalysts.
- Cleaving intermolecular (between subunits) disulfide bonds allows the subunits of a protein to separate independently on SDS-PAGE.
- Cleaving intramolecular (within subunit) disulfide bonds allows the subunits to become completely denatured so that each peptide migrates according to its chain length with no influence due to secondary structure.
- In solution, 2-mercaptoethanol is readily oxidized in air to a disulfide, especially at alkaline pH. Because of this property, it is widely used to protect proteins, enzymes in particular, from becoming inactive.
- An excess of 2-mercaptoethanol (generally used at 0.01 M) will maintain the protein thiol groups in their reduced state.
- Miscible with water, alcohol, ether and benzene.
- Solutions containing even trace levels (nanomolar) of some metal salts (especially copper (II) or cobalt(II)) are unstable at pH >5 and progressively less stable at higher pH values.
- Most buffers (especially phosphate) contain enough metal salts to lead to substantial loss of -SH within 1 to 2 days.
- The addition of EDTA helps to stabilize solutions.
- If diluted product needs to be stored, it is recommended to store at pH 6 to 7 with EDTA (0.05 mM) at 2 to 8°C for no more than 2 to 3 days; however, we highly recommend adding neat 2-mercaptoethanol as needed to the sample.
|5.0 (0.1 M in water)|
|1.114 g/mL at 25°C|
|Miscible with water, alcohol, ether and benzene.|
|1 mm Hg at 20°C|
|β-Mercaptoethanol, 2-Hydroxyethylmercaptan, BME, Thioethylene glycol, 2-Hydroxy-1-ethanethiol, Monothioethyleneglycol|
We continue to work to improve your shopping experience and your feedback regarding this content is very important to us. Please use the form below to provide feedback related to the content on this product.
Your feedback has been submitted. Fisher Scientific is always working to improve our content for you. We appreciate your feedback.Ok
Unless specified otherwise, for research or further manufacturing use only, not for direct human use.