As part of Thermo Fisher Scientific’s mission to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer, the Fisher Scientific channel is dedicated to providing sustainable solutions to help you reduce your environmental footprint.
Solar panels at our Bridgewater, New Jersey facility.
Business sustainability is a key operating principle and one of the three pillars of Thermo Fisher’s Corporate Social Responsibility efforts. We are continually seeking new ways to meet our customers' needs, while being environmentally responsible in the way we run our business.
Product and facility highlights:
- Improved shipping containers
- 2,000 light bulbs replaced with LED lights
- Landfill avoidance — 10,000 metric tons diverted from landfills
- Sustainable manufacturing processes — 3.6 million gallons of water saved
- 100 trees saved each year in our Franklin, MA facility
- On-site solar generation covers 75% of power usage at our Bridgewater, NJ facility
- 12% reduction in greenhouse gas emissions
- 5% reduction in water usage
- 4,700+ tons of waste recycled
Thermo Fisher currently has six buildings that have achieved LEED Certification.
The Fisher Scientific channel currently has 13 sites that have become Zero Waste facilities, diverting more than 90% of waste stream from landfills.
Look for the leaf icon to find products on fishersci.com that are part of our Greener Choice program.
Greener Choice products meet the following criteria in order to earn this designation:
- Offer one or more environmental benefit itemized in the U.S. FTC “Green Guides”
- Confirmation that the stated product attributes are environmentally preferable to products within the same category
- Assurance that the environmental benefit claims remain substantiated over time
- Receipt of a signed Certificate of Compliance from the supplier stating that all environmental claims on the products (or line of products) sold by Thermo Fisher Scientific comply with the requirements of all applicable state and federal laws governing environmental marketing claims
ENERGY STAR-Certified Products
When a product carries the ENERGY STAR label, that means it’s been independently certified to meet strict standards for energy efficiency set by the EPA.
Save on operating costs while reducing your impact on the environment with ENERGY STAR-Certified Thermo Scientific™ TSX ultra low temperature freezers and laboratory refrigerators and freezers. They deliver temperature uniformity and generate energy savings without compromising performance.
Decrease your quantity of physical shipments without changing your ordering cycles using our Scheduled Shipment Program.
Download literature electronically to reduce transportation and paper usage; more than 950 digital brochures and other literature are now available.
Select electronic invoices and request electronic catalogs and literature.
Consolidate your orders to reduce the use of transportation and fossil fuels and decrease greenhouse gas emissions.
TerraCycle Zero Waste Box Platform
Through the TerraCycle Zero Waste Box™ platform, you can recycle almost any type of waste, from complex laboratory waste to your coffee capsules.
DuPont Tyvek Garment Recycling Program
The DuPont™ Tyvek™ Protective Apparel Recycling Program offers the chance to divert garments away from landfills and give them a second life in products like containers, lumber pallets, and park benches.
Fisherbrand Pipette Tip Box Recycling Program
Order this large cardboard unit and recycle up to 75 pipette tip boxes depending on the size of the pipette with the Fisherbrand™ Pipette Tip Box Recycling Program. When it’s full, seal the box and ship it from any UPS location using the prepaid shipping label included.
RightCycle by Kimberly-Clark Professional Glove, Garment, and Safety Eyewear Recycling Program
Thermo Fisher received the 2017 Kimberly-Clark™ Professional Greenovation Award for increasing the amount of disposable gloves and lab apparel we recycle by 41% in our facilities through the RightCycle™ program.
What You Can Do to Help
Help Reduce Paper Use
Read Headline DiscoveriesOnline
Read Lab ReporterOnline