As part of Thermo Fisher Scientific, we’re working to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050. And we’re simultaneously helping our customers reach their own goals through sustainable product choices, convenient recycling programs, and expertise in the latest advancements in sustainability.
Sustainability at Thermo Fisher Scientific
Rooftop photovoltaic power plant at our Brno, Czech Republic facility.
Business sustainability is a key operating principle and one of the three pillars of our Corporate Social Responsibility efforts. We continually seek new ways to meet your needs while being environmentally responsible in the way we run our business.
Here are just a few ways we’ve done that:
- Improved shipping containers
- Replaced 2,000 light bulbs with LED lights
- Diverted 10,000 metric tons from landfills
- Saved over 3.6 million gallons of water with sustainable manufacturing processes
- Saved 100 trees per year in our Franklin, MA facility
- Generated 75% of power at our Bridgewater, NJ facility with on-site solar panels
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 12%
- Reduced water usage by 5%
- Recycled more than 4,700 tons of waste
Six Thermo Fisher Scientific buildings have achieved LEED certification.
- 23 Thermo Fisher Scientific sites have become zero-waste facilities, diverting more than 90% of waste from landfills
- 47 manufacturing sites are working toward this status
EcoVadis is an external provider of business sustainability ratings, with a global network of more than 90,000+ rated companies. Thermo Fisher Scientific is rated on an annual basis to satisfy consumer requests in four focus areas: environment, labor and human rights, ethics, and sustainable procurement.
Find Sustainable Products on fishersci.com
Look for the leaf icon when browsing to find products that are part of our Greener Choice program.
- Offer one or more of the environmental benefits itemized in the U.S. FTC “Green Guides”
- Have confirmation that the stated product attributes are environmentally preferable to products within the same category
- Have assurance that the environmental benefit claims remain substantiated over time
- Include a receipt of signed Certificate of Compliance from the supplier stating that all environmental claims on the products or line of products comply with the requirements of all applicable state and federal laws governing environmental marketing claims
ENERGY STAR-Certified Products
Products that carry the ENERGY STAR™ label have been independently certified to meet the strict standards for energy efficiency set by the EPA.
ACT labels help customers understand and compare how products impact the environment through several scores, much like an eco-nutrition label.
Recycle Used PPE and Lab Products
TerraCycle Zero Waste Box™ Platform
Recycle almost any type of waste, from complex laboratory waste to coffee capsules.
DuPont™ Tyvek™ Garment Recycling
Divert garments from landfill and give them a second life as new products.
Fisherbrand™ Pipette Tip Box Recycling Program
Fill up a container, ship it from any UPS location using the prepaid label, and we’ll handle the rest.
Learn More About Sustainable Products and Practices
The Fisher Scientific channel makes it easy to work sustainably every day.
Reduce physical shipments without changing ordering cycles.
Consolidate orders to reduce transportation and greenhouse gas emissions.