Thimerosal, Thermo Scientific Chemicals
Thimerosal, has been widely used as a preservative in a number of biological and drug products, including many vaccines, to help prevent potentially life threatening contamination with harmful microbes. It has been used as a preservative in vaccines, immunoglobulin preparations, skin test antigens, antivenins, ophthalmic and nasal products, and tattoo inks.
This Thermo Scientific Chemicals brand product was originally part of the Alfa Aesar product portfolio. Some documentation and label information may refer to the legacy brand. The original Alfa Aesar product / item code or SKU reference has not changed as a part of the brand transition to Thermo Scientific Chemicals.
• Thimerosal is an organic compound and a derivative of thiosalicyclic acid. It shows antibacterial and antifungal activities and has the ability to protect against chemical change or microbial action
• Thimerosal can inhibit the sulfhydryl-containing active site of some enzymes and bind to sulfhydryl compounds, such as glutathione, cysteine, and thiol groups of proteins
• It can activate the InsP3 calcium channel on the endoplasmic reticular membrane, triggering the release of calcium from intracellular stores, leading to a calcium-influx of extracellular calcium. Thus, thimerosal may stimulate or inhibit cellular functions dependent on calcium signaling
• Thimerosal can increase histamine release and cell-mediated immunity
• It has the ability to inhibit various sulfhydryl-dependent enzymes and proteins, including PI3-kinase-dependent methionine synthase, glutamate transport receptors, and Na+/K+-dependent ATPases
|Melting Point||234°C to 237°C|
|Flash Point||250°C (482°F)|
|Solubility Information||Soluble in water or ethanol|
|Chemical Name or Material||Thimerosal|
|Show More Show Less|
GHS H Statement
Toxic if swallowed.
Fatal in contact with skin.
Fatal if inhaled.
May cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure.
DOTInformation : Hazard Class: 6.1; Packaging Group: II
EINECSNumber : 200-210-4
RTECSNumber : OV8400000
TSCA : Yes
Recommended Storage : Ambient temperatures
RUO – Research Use Only
We continue to work to improve your shopping experience and your feedback regarding this content is very important to us. Please use the form below to provide feedback related to the content on this product.
Your feedback has been submitted. Fisher Scientific is always working to improve our content for you. We appreciate your feedback.Ok