Illuminators for Microscopy
Laxco™ iLED Series LED Light Source
Laxco™ iLED Series boost bright LED illumination in small, compact, small foot print system.
Laxco™ FOS150 Series Fiber Optic Light Source
Laxco™ FOS Series is 150w fiber optic light source with exchangeable guides for industrial, manufacturing and dissection applications.
What Is an Illuminator Used For?
Microscopy, the use of magnification to view objects that are too small to see with the naked eye, often requires an external illuminator as a light source.
Most compound microscopes have integral light sources. However, some earlier or inexpensive models have only a mirror to direct light through the stage to the objective lens. For these models, an additional light source may be needed to resolve object details, especially under higher magnification.
What Are the Types of Illuminators?
LED and fiber optic are the most common types of illuminators. LED (light emitting diode) technology in illuminators offers advantages to microscopy:
- Durable and long lasting
- Consistent natural color
- Produce little heat, low power consumption
- Compact and quiet
- Can be powered with DC (battery operated)
Fiber-optic illuminators may use LED or halogen (quartz-halogen) as a light source. Halogen illuminators are more expensive, but produce a brilliant incandescent white light preferred by many. Quartz-halogen lamps have a fairly short life, produce more heat, use more power, and can only be powered by AC.
Fluorescent light is often used for biological research and similar applications. And fluorescent ring lights can be used as additional light sources for stereo microscopes. However, microscope illuminators have mostly replaced fluorescence with LEDs.
For stereo microscopy, choose an illuminator based on the type of specimen and the application.
- LED ring light illuminators for bright, uniform illumination
- LED spotlight illuminators with moveable goosenecks for high-contrast illumination and flexibility
- Dual LED lamps (coaxial illumination) with fiber optic light guides for viewing glossy or reflective surfaces
- LED ring lights (with rechargeable batteries) make your microscope fully portable and usable in locations where electricity is not available